With Sheepshead starting to be caught in southeast Florida I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes, Sheepshead Chowder.
- Dice 2 medium red potatoes and cook in ½ cup water and ½ tsp salt in the microwave for 8 minutes. ( I have used cauliflower as a health substitute)
- Dice 3 slices of bacon into ½” pieces and finely chop 1 small onion.
- In a medium pot, cook the bacon with ½ tsp of black pepper until crispy, then stir in the onion and 2 cloves. Cook 2-3 minutes then evenly distribute 3 tbsp flour into the pot(I substitute the pepper with Frank’s Redhot powdered, it really depends on if you like spicy or not)
- Slowly add in potatoes (cauliflower) with the water they were cooked in, an additional 1 cup of water, 1tsp salt (I use the Jalapeño salt I made), 1 tsp pepper (Frank’s Redhot), 1 can of corn, and 2 cups of clam juice Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Dice about 1lb of sheepshead and add into the pot. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until the fish is opaque.
- When the fish is cooked, remove the soup from heat and stir in ¼ cup fresh snipped parsley and ½ cup heavy whipping cream.
If you make this, please let me know how you like it. If you made any changes let me know what you did and how you feel it worked.
Leave a Reply